Monday, December 1, 2008

I Did It!!! I made Haggis!


I started with these meat products. I couldn't a sheep's pluck (if you don't know... you may not want to). So, I used some moose tongue, moose heart, moose roast, and beef tripe. I also used bacon fat instead of suet (hey it's what I had)




These are the spices I selected. Don't ask me how much, I just added until it looked right.




Here I have cut up the meat and tripe, and I am about to boil the meat for 30 minutes.




Now the meat has been boiled, the tripe added, spices added, onions added, oats (7 grain cereal) added, and bacon fat added. Looks yummy.





This is what the whole mess looks like after I ran it through the course plate on the meat grinder.






As there is a distinct short shortage of sheeps' stomachs locally (and in particular, my kitchen) I am substituting fiberous casings (intended for summer sausage).






These are haggises (haggae? haggisaurus?). Ok, here are six haggis. Notice that I didn't stuff them super tight (the oats will double in volume as they cook and I don't want to bust a gut).





Here it is boiling. It ballooned up quite a bit. Now I have to wait 3 hours (or three days, and not a minute more...).

3 comments:

mama said...

Haggis. . . yum. . . . if you don't tell people, they would think it just another sausage right? ;X

Unknown said...

So....how did it taste? Did you serve it to unsuspecting company, have it for dinner three days later or eat it for breakfast? Enquiring minds are wanting to know.

Moose Nuggets said...

People know me a little too well to be able to sneak it in unawares. When I offer someone a bite they usually ask "what is it?" To which I reply "moose" so they ask "No! What part?"

It tastes like a fairly bland meatloaf, which is to be expected considering that about all it has for seasoning is onion and salt. Next time I think I will stray from the recipe and kick it up 3 or 4 notches.

We had some students over for supper and I did a sort of mock Burn's Supper (I had to read "Ode to a Haggis" because I haven't memorized it yet.) I also took some to work for a Christmas potluck and a few adventurous folks tried it and liked it.