Monday, June 16, 2008

Galvanized Pancake?


Any guesses what this is?











Here's another view.













Yesterday was the last day of bear baiting season. I didn't set up a bait station of my own this year (I decided to spend that time with the family) but a friend did. He borrowed my bait bucket. When his wife got sick he knew he wouldn't be able to sit on the stand, so he offered to let me. This is what I found. The black bear (the only ones legal to bait) have swatted it around before and left a few dents. But this was done by a big bear. I guess the other hint were the huge tracks on the trail. I sat up in the tree with a video camera so if he came back I could at least get him on video. I was also armed to the teeth in case he wanted to make an issue of things, or a blackie showed up. The stand was set up for Archery so it was a closer than I usually do, so I carried a riot shotgun with Brenneke slugs. All I saw was a herd of Grey Jays.

1 comment:

mama said...

A herd of gray jays? Is that what they call them? Aren't they good eating?