Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Happiness Is....


My Dad would say "a large gut pile". I guess I prefer the part we take home. One of the benefits of recovering roadkill is that you get to keep whatever no one else will eat... I love heart... and liver... and tongue...

This is a fairly rare situation. A roadkill in the middle of summer, in the middle of the day, on a sunny day, and the bugs weren't even too bad.

The critter was a moose calf. We removed the tailgate of the "Bird Dog" (big green Ford who earned the name) and slid the whole thing up into the bed. Then we decided to gut it there so we didn't have to take the guts home.

While we were working some tourons, or are they tourorists? (you know the people that take pictures of everything and pay to wild life) came by and wanted to watch. I'm all for educating the public so they leaned over this near side of the pickup bed to watch. We had the guts out and I wanted to get the heart out. So I was working up inside the rib cage (note the blood up to my armpits). When I pulled it out it did not look like what our tourist friends thought it should (it sits inside a sack). So I slit slit the sack and flipped it over exposing the heart... and splattering blood... on the tourists. Oops!

After they ran off, some one snapped this photo, as much as we like moose heart I think the grins are because of the tourists.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Big A,

can I link from my blog. I know WAY too many people who would find this topic applicable.

So fun to keep up with you and yours
Sandie

Moose Nuggets said...

Sandie, I would be honored (in my own odd way).